Saturday, September 3, 2011

Travel Gadget Organizer from a Tea Towel

In July, JoAnn Fabrics had their summer line of things marked down to about 70% off.  I always have my eye open for cute tea towels, as they are a nice sized, already-hemmed, sturdy piece of fabric...just right for a little project like a pillow cover, or this!

Martha Stewart had emailed me this cool idea for creating a gadget organizer out of a tea towel...wasn't that nice of her?! :) This towel was just right for this project.

It's super easy, just requiring a few straight lines of stitching...ready?  Ok, I hope you can see from the photo how it is  folded.  You fold the bottom of vertically-laid towel up about 2/3 of the way, then fold it down, and up again...letting the first fold show alittle bit under the second fold.  This is kind of like an accordian pleat.  It will create 2 layers of pockets.

Next use a ruler and a disappearing ink fabric pen to mark off your pockets.  I wanted four equal sized pockets across, but you can customize it for your needs.

My pockets were all about 4 inches wide.

Since I was dealing with a large plaid, I had to try to keep my plaid lines straight, even though my towel wasn't really 'square'.  I sewed the two outside seams first.  Then the middle seam, and lastly the two outer pocket seams.  

Sew super easy!  (Pun?  Yes!)  When I travel I tend to forget which bag I put my camera cord in, or my ear buds.  With this organizer I have a go-to place for those items as well as extra batteries, my phone charger, bluetooth charger, etc!  I took it on my next trip, and it really was a help.  Yay!

Can you see that the pockets are staggered?  The first set of pockets are alittle higher than the second set, so that I can easily see what is in the top set and the bottom set.

I fold it into thirds and tie it with a gross grain ribbon.  I'd like to attach a tie permanently, but haven't taken that step yet.

Thanks for stopping by!!  Your comments and visits are always greatly enjoyed!

Blessings,
Donna

Linky Parties:
My Romantic Home
Tater Tots and Jello
Making Mondays Marvelous
Sew Darn Crafty
Made By You Mondays
Tip Junkie
More the Merrier Monday
Sundae Scoop
Sunday Showcase

6 comments:

  1. Super cute! :) Maybe I'll have one of these someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! We have so many cords and headphones and they always get tangled when we travel. I'm glad you and Martha are on top of it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT Idea!! Saving it to my favourites to try. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a fantastic idea donna .. aren't tea towels fantastic for all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing idea! I love the blue and white tea towel you chose. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so darling! You made it look so easy, too! I love anything that helps me keep organized! Great job!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave an encouraging comment or question. I read each one!

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover