Sunday, April 6, 2014

Handmade Sympathy Cards Using Hymnal Pages

This week I needed to send two sympathy cards to friends.  We didn't have any that I liked, and these friends are very special.  So I decided to make some.  I sat down at my ironing board (an ironing board, lowered to table height, makes a great craft table in a small space!) and looked over my paper crafting supplies.  Then I knew what I wanted to do...use a vintage hymnal page of a hymn about heaven, to make the cards.  I have 2 old hymnals that I use for making special crafts...I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.









I like to use pre-made white cardstock cards from Michaels, and decorate the fronts of them as well as adding a little coordinating embellishment on the back of the envelope.  The card with the bird on it is for a man who lost his brother recently, so I tried to add a bit of masculinity with some burlap layered under the bird.  Using decorative scissors in the antique pattern made the hymn page look torn on both sides.

Handmade cards are always a gift.  And hymns comfort our souls.  When put together, I hope it brings comfort and love to our friends who have said an earthly goodbye to their loved ones.

Be Blessed,

Donna
Linked to:

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, very sweet idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your post is nearly 10 years old, but I'm looking for ideas for making my own Christmas cards using hymn sheets as the basis and your post popped up. Your cards are beautiful, two very special hymns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave an encouraging comment or question. I read each one!

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover